Monday, March 26, 2012

"Treasure" Hunting at Grandma Howe

My sister and I spent part of the day digging through the Howe farm barns. My finds are...milk cans, milking stools (my grandparents were dairy farmers!), glass jug and jar, crock with handle, wood barrel, wire basket, lard bucket, gas can, wood box, some old tools (which I really plan to use!), coffee tins, chicken feeders and some old twine.   Chrystal found a few tins and an old bird cage, which belonged to our great grandmother Creasser.  But, I agree with my sister, that the greatest treasures we found were in an old trunk out in the chicken house.  It contained a knitted baby outfit sent from relatives in CA when my mother was born, an old breast pump still in the original box, leather baby shoes, and the greatest of all were possibly a hundred letters from my grandfather to my grandmother starting in 1944 (WWII) while he was in the Army and in Germany.  We read one...it was so endearing and then took them into the house for Grandma to read later!  That day, when my grandma said, "honey, we never threw away anything", she wasn't kidding!  

No comments:

Post a Comment